Minimum Requirements for a High School Diploma
|ALBERTA HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA GRADUATION
|The requirements indicated in this chart are the minimum requirements for a student to attain an Alberta High School Diploma. The requirements for entry into post-secondary institutions and workplaces may require additional and/or specific courses.|
|100 CREDITS including the following:|
|ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS - 30 LEVEL
(English Language Arts 30-1, 30-2)
|SOCIAL STUDIES - 30 LEVEL
(Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2)
|MATHEMATICS - 20 LEVEL
(Mathematics 20-1, Mathematics 20-2, or Mathematics 20-3)
|SCIENCE - 20 LEVEL
(Science 20, Science 24, Biology 20, Chemistry 20 or Physics 20)
|PHYSICAL EDUCATION 10 (3 CREDITS)|
|CAREER AND LIFE MANAGEMENT (3 CREDITS)|
10 CREDITS IN ANY COMBINATION FROM:
10 CREDITS IN ANY 30-LEVEL COURSE (IN ADDITION TO A 30-LEVEL ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS AND A 30-LEVEL SOCIAL STUDIES COURSE AS SPECIFIED ABOVE)
For information regarding high school courses please refer to the My Child's Learning: A Parent Resource located on the Alberta Learning website at https://www.learnalberta.ca/content/mychildslearning/http://www.learning.gov.ab.ca.
SSS GRADUATION POLICY
To participate in the Grade 12 Graduation Ceremonies at Sexsmith Secondary School the following criteria must be met:
- The student must be enrolled in a minimum of 30 credits at SSS while in grade 12.
- The student must be in a position to graduate as per the Alberta High School Diploma Graduation Requirements.
- All students must have a minimum of 50% in each class and module from both semesters.
- Students enrolled in distance learning courses, work experience, special projects or CTS courses must have 70% of year-long courses and 50% of second semester courses completed by the end of March (confirmation of the course work completed is the responsibility of the student and must be made with administration).
- All outstanding school fees must be paid in full by the end of April.
- All graduation fees must be paid as outlined by the Grad Committee of that graduating class.
- Students must be in 'good standing' with the school.
It is the responsibility of the student and their parent/guardian to ensure that all of the above criteria have been met. School staff are available for student and/or parent consultation regarding the policies. Students who are eligible to participate in the Graduation Ceremonies will be notified the first week of April.
Certificate of Achievement
Students may earn credits toward the Certificate of Achievement. Certificate of Achievement will be awarded to successful graduates of the Knowledge and Employability program. To qualify for a Certificate of Achievement, students must earn a minimum of 80 credits.